Friday, April 13, 2012

I'll Settle for those Beans

So, lately I've been scouring the internet on my ongoing quest to create delicious, cheap, not necessarily nutritious dinners that are a winner with all the members of this household (the boy doesn't eat sour cream, ranch dressing or mayo and calls himself Southern, wtf), and I've come across another one that is indeed, a hit.  And like all of "our" current success stories, luckily it is easy enough while still satisfying my joy of cooking and spending time in my favorite room in the house, Bella Cucina.

Behold:  Old Settlers' Baked Beans.



Click here to observe the original recipe for this meal which I've heavily borrowed from but slightly modified in order to suit our tastebuds.

Side note: I don't know why I've never thought of this before, but just because a recipe has a 5 star rating doesn't mean it's an overwhelming hit.  Reading the reviews is actually quite helpful, though I must say, this one sounded pretty darn good on its own.  The main differences that I made after following the review suggestions are cutting the sugar quantity slightly, frying the bacon separately, and using 1 lb. versus 1/2 lb. of ground beef.

So here it is; serves 4.

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
4 strips bacon
1 med. onion, chopped
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. bbq sauce (store bought; I used a hickory smoked flavor)
1 T. yellow mustard
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp seasoning salt
2 T. chili sauce
1 16 oz can pork and beans, undrained
1 16 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 16 oz can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained


Preheat oven to 350°.  In a large skillet, fry bacon strips until crisp; set aside on paper towel to drain.

In same skillet, brown together ground beef, onion, Worcestershire sauce & seasoning salt until beef is done through, and onions are soft and translucent. Drain all fat.

In a bowl, mix together both sugars, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, lemon-pepper seasoning, garlic powder, & chili sauce.  Add beef mixture and stir thoroughly.

Crumble bacon into bits and add to beef/sauce mixture.  Add all beans, and fold together gently, taking care not to mush the beans.

Grease a two quart casserole dish.  Add beef/bean mixture to dish and cover with tinfoil.  Bake for 1 hr.

I served mine with cornbread muffins (what up, Jiffy!) and it was a success!  I think the key was cutting the sugar, and using a smokey bbq sauce and bacon to add another taste dimension.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. The pork and bean casserole I make is similar. Mine has pork and beans, baked beans, ketchup, mustard, ground beef, and onions. Oh and it's topped with cheddar cheese. I love it, and it's super easy and fast and the kids actually eat it. Since my kids like it, maybe yours will, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Enough stalking, start talking!