Monday, April 23, 2012

30 Things...About Me, Duh!

So, I got this idea from Pinterest...

"What, wait? You got an idea from Pinterest?  Get OUT!"
" I know, right?!"

And I found it rather nifty.  Basically, it's a "30 Questions" game you play with your significant other, or honestly, anyone you're interested in really, and it's a way of finding out different things about them.  I may try this with the Rottenator later, but being that this blog is Kathleen-centric, I've decided to answer these questions for myself and post them here because I find myself quite fascinating.  This may be a three part series; questions 1-10 today.  I encourage everyone to do this, especially if you're getting old and senile like me.  This gets those ol' brain synapses firing.

1. List 20 random facts about yourself.
  • I'm left-handed
  • I'm a Virgo
  • I am an Anglophile
  • I am a secret Sci-Fi/Fantasy geek
  • I think that Buffy is the greatest show that's ever been on television
  • I should have gone to culinary school instead of college
  • I spent many formative years being a celebrity stalker
  • I used to write quite extensively about what my perfect fantasy life would be
  • I'm 40
  • I almost died in January 2011
  • I haven't been back to NYC since before 9/11
  • I've been to London twice
  • I was born in Germany
  • I have never wanted, and will never have children
  • Although non-practicing, I still consider myself Catholic
  • I love holidays and birthdays
  • My dad died of cancer two weeks before my 13th birthday
  • I cry every time I think about my kitty Chairman Miaow
  • I now embrace being born and raised in the South
  • I never thought I would but I love college football and I love the Crimson Tide & Nick Saban
2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.
  • I'm scared of monkeys.  There's a picture of my dad holding me when I was maybe one or two and there are monkeys all over the place; I guess we were at a zoo or something in Germany.  Maybe I was almost trampled but I've hated monkeys ever since.
  • I'm scared of driving; I've been in numerous car accidents, most were my own fault, so it stands to reason that it may happen again.
  • I'm scared of any type of confrontation or yelling.  I grew up in a house with a parent with a bad temper who yelled a lot, so every time someone gets mad at me, I get panicky.
3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
  • My dad died when I was 12; we were very close so that sucked and probably fucked me up for life.
  • My mom and I are closer now that I'm older; I can pretty much talk to her and tell her everything.
 4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
  • Take this summer between school years, and diet and exercise.  You will save yourself years of pain; pretty people really do get more breaks in life.
  • Don't smoke that cigarette.  Smoking may look cool at 16; it does not so much at 40.
  • Don't take that drink.  It will lead you down a very destructive path.  Don't worry; if you take my advice about diet and exercise, you'll still be invited to all the cool parties.
  • Fuck college, go to culinary school.  It's the right choice.
  • Don't stop writing.  You're damn good at it.  In fact, here's an idea to think about: try writing a story about an orphaned boy wizard who goes to a magical school and has to fight an evil wizard to the death.  Something to consider.
  • Try not to lose contact with your friends even if you go off to a different school.  You'll end up missing them.
  • Continue to be your own person and have your own interests even if no one around you shares them.  You'll eventually meet people who do, and they will be cool as fuck.
  • Be nicer to your younger sister.  She's going to be your best friend when you get older.
  • Do NOT get more than one credit card when you turn 18, and if you don't have a job, don't get one at all.  You'll be amazed at how important good credit is later in life.  Bad credit: that shit doesn't disappear overnight, believe that.
  • You don't have to be perfect.  No one is.  So don't stress so much about living up to impossible expectations.  And accept that other people won't either.  Everything's not as black and white as you think.
5. What are the 5 things that make you most happy right now?
  • My house
  • Cooking
  • Being in relatively good health
Huh...I'll have to come back to that one...

6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced? 
  • Starting over life from scratch.
7. What is your dream job, and why?
  • I would love to have my own catering business.  Cooking relaxes me, and cooking for other people makes me happy.
8. What are 5 passions you have?
  • Cooking
  • Top Chef
Huh...another one I'll have to come back to...sensing a pattern here...

9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how (in no particular order or importance).
  • JK Rowling: the woman was homeless and creating a universe on scraps of napkins over free cups of tea in a pub for God's sake...don't ever give up the dream.
  • The Rottenator: Saturdays Down South wouldn't be the same without him
  • My Dad: I think I get my sci-fi/anglophile thing from him
  • Joss Whedon: another creator of another of my favorite universes
  • A: the older boy that I crushed on in high school who opened up a whole new world of music to me with one mix tape
  • Ms. A: a high school teacher who treated me as more than just an annoying teenager she was forced to teach
  • The Frugal Gourmet: he opened up a whole new culinary world to me
  • Every gay man that I have befriended at many different stages in my life: they opened up a whole different, fun, exciting, accepting world to me
  • Sting: he helped me through some difficult years and I thought I'd love him forever.  I still know most of his songs by heart
  • The friends I met in college: they were the first friends I ever had that were from places very different from where I grew up.  They expanded my horizons by showing me that the Southern way wasn't the only way.
10. Describe your most embarrassing moment.
  • I don't know you well enough to reveal that, but trust me, it's a doozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough stalking, start talking!