Monday, April 9, 2012

I Got the Chicken Cordon Bleus

So, I mentioned yesterday that I was looking for a chicken cordon bleu recipe to replace the original one I was going to make after reading the reviews on it, and I think I came up with a winner.




It's not the prettiest casserole ever, but it did turn out pretty dang tasty if I do say so myself.  Before I get to the recipe, since this was my first time making it, these are the modifications I will make when preparing it again.

  • use a cream of chicken (or any cream of something) soup with seasonings added (to give it a little extra flavor)
  • remove the tinfoil cover and let the casserole cook for about 10 min more so the stuffing topping turns out crispier (I thought it was fine, but the fiance found it too "soggy"...whatever)
  • reserve more of the stuffing mix for topping so that it covers the entire top of casserole, and make the layer of stuffing on the bottom thinner.
Other than that, here is the recipe as is, and again, it was quite yummy.

Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (serves 4)

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 10.5oz can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
8 oz pkg sliced deli ham
8 oz pkg sliced swiss cheese
8 oz pkg herbed dressing/stuffing (I used Pepperidge farm)
chicken broth (apprx 1/2 cup)
butter
seasoning salt (I'm southern, so I used Lawry's, natch)
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder

Preheat oven to 325°. 

Season chicken breasts liberally with SPOG (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder)

Liberally grease a 9x11 casserole dish with butter.  Pour stuffing package into a bowl and add enough chicken broth to lightly moisten (I just eyeballed this and added it gradually until the stuffing was just mixed; I'd estimate maybe 1/2 cup, you might want to use less depending on how soft/crispy you like yours).

Spread a thin layer of stuffing into the bottom of casserole dish;  place seasoned chicken breasts on top.  Reserve remaining stuffing mix for topping.

On top of chicken breasts, layer ham followed by a layer of swiss cheese.

In a separate bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup with one cup milk.  Pour over chicken breasts, covering completely.

Use remaining stuffing mix to spread over entire top of casserole.

Liberally butter one side of aluminum foil.  Place on top of casserole, butter side down.

Bake for 45 min.  At this point, remove foil and continue to bake 5-10 min to ensure crispy stuffing topping.

I served mine with mashed potatoes on the side as the sauce from the dish, and it would probably be wonderful with roasted asparagus as well.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough stalking, start talking!