Friday, August 3, 2012

Family Branches

So, ever since I moved back home and gotten my shit together to a small extent I've been very much feeling the urge to reconnect with my family. Not my immediate family; we're already pretty connected (for better or worse) but my extended family, cousins and whatnot.  Facebook has been good for reconnecting to a certain extent, but it's not quite the same as seeing these people in person and finding out what's been going on with them for the past, oh, I don't know, 30 years.

With that in mind, I'm very much looking forward to a family reunion that my Aunt (my father's sister) is planning for their sister, who is turning 75 later this month.  It will be the first time that my Dad's side of the family has reunited in, oh, I don't know...30 years.

My father passed away in 1984, and when he did, that side of the family, which was never that strong in bonds anyway, all sort of drifted apart.  Some of us managed to keep in touch sporadically, but never with any regularity or substance.  And a part of me has missed that familial closeness.  The joined experiences and inside memories that only family can understand.  Like, tunafish gravy with pancakes, and salad dressing consisting only of mayo and ketchup.

Don't knock tunafish gravy until you've tried it, people.  Just don't try it with syrup.

So, I'm back in the heart of Weavertropolis, and it's giving me warm, fuzzy feelings.  The Rottenator will of course not be participating in this reunion, but that's probably for the best.  It would be understandably awkward and uncomfortable for him, being that he doesn't like crowds, or mankind in general.  In fact, as I have been told numerous times: "I can barely tolerate you and the Nooge...and occasionally your mother".

Nevertheless, I look forward to this reunion, and sitting tucked away in a corner with my sister, and cousins's wives (not Sister Wives, we're not Mormons, people) and perhaps another male and female cousin, gossiping about everyone.


And then gossiping about each other once the reunion is over.  Because we may not be Mormons, but we are defintely still Southern.

My Mood Ring(tone) of the Day (natch):


\


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough stalking, start talking!